Saturday, December 15, 2007

Watermelon

I found this on some blog while searching "Christmas Lights at temple square" Kinda cool.... It’s amazing what people can do with a watermelon. The pictures above are real, including those odd-looking square melons. They’re grown in Japan by farmers who place the growing melons into a tempered glass container, causing them to assume that square shape as they grow. It is done for a very practical reason: space. The square melons don’t take up as much room in the refrigerator. I’m not sure, however, if it is an ultimately practical solution, as they cost around $82 (USD) each. An average watermelon in Japan costs $15-$17 (USD). I hope they’re good.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Not sure what that has to do with Temple Square Lights. But cool. I want a space saving watermelon. I bet they are hip to be square.

hayley said...

Wow! Those are so cool looking:)